Monday, July 18, 2011

Orientating

So Orientation has started. It's called O-week here. I haven't really done much outside of going to orientation events in the past few days. The good thing about orientation is that I've learned of some things that are going on. For example, I'm going on a trip with a bunch of other students to Fitzroy Island on Friday. I've heard that the island is beautiful and that there is some good snorkeling around there. Also they apparently have a trampoline set up in the ocean which sounds strange but fun.


Besides orientation the only thing I've done of note is to go to the beach. I walked to Trinity Beach, it took an hour. When I got there it was very windy and the sand kept hitting me. The sand is very course there so it actually kind of hurt. Still, it was a beach and it had an area that is patrolled by a lifeguard which I swam in. It was super fun and the water was not frigid, a nice change from the Oregon coast that I'm accustomed to! While there I also built a sand castle.

In other news, I bought some kiwi fruit and it was the best kiwi I have ever had. It was truly fantastic. I can't wait to try other fruit as they come into season. They have fruit here that I've never even heard of. On a somewhat related note, I saw two giant fruit bats in the middle of Cairns. It was a bit surprising but very cool.

1 comment: