Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weekend Whimsy

Me holding a baby crocodile
This past weekend I did a lot of fun things. On Friday my friends and I were ridiculously goofy. One of my friends from back home is doing a semester of research near here and I got to see her on Saturday. She was in Cairns for the weekend so we hung out and barbecued with my friends then went to the Night Market. The Night Market is sort of like a saturday market that's open in the evenings and has tons of stands selling everything from peanut shells painted to look like Simpsons' characters to discount Uggs to full-body massages. All in all, it's an interesting place. On Sunday I had my long awaited trip that I won during Orientation Week. I woke up bright and early to make the bus. We went to Lake Eacham, the Curtain Fig Tree, and Millaa Millaa falls. This time I swam under the falls...it's starting to get quite hot here and I don't like it. We ate lunch at the Malanda Hotel, I had a fish burger and it was delicious. I still love that they put beets on burgers, yum! In the afternoon we went to the Johnstone Crocodile Park where we got to see several very large salt water crocodiles, emus, cassowaries, kangaroos, wallabies, and dingoes. We got to feed the kangaroos and pet the dingoes. All in all, quite the day! Today it was ridiculously hot so I went to the beach and the ocean felt much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment